Supposedly after Kate and William released their engagement photos, sales of shine shampoos skyrocketed in the UK. You can see why. That hair defies the elements! Rather than sit around envying Duchess Catherine, follow these tips to get shiny hair and give Kate a run for her money.
- Wash Hair Less: We doubt Kate does this. She most likely receives Keratin Treatments which impart the gorgeous shine she has. That said, the average lady can't afford regular Keratin Treatments and frankly, they're not as healthy for your hair as this tip. Simply stretching your washes one more day will really help your hair shine. Your natural oils will have a chance to condition your strands giving them tremendous shine.
- Avoid Breakage: If your hair has layers like Kate you need to be especially careful. Hair that's all one length just needs a regular trim to stay free of breakage. Layers, however, can start making the hair look frayed very quickly because the damage appears in the middle of the hair rather than just the ends. To avoid breakage and split ends, condition every time you shampoo, and be sure to comb hair gently to release tangles before styling with a brush.
- Brush with a Boar Bristle Brush: Don't brush too often. 100 strokes a day is way too much. Boar bristles will help to spread the scalps oil through the hair, imparting tremendous shine.
- Blow Dry Carefully: Blow-drying does make hair appear shinier because the heat sort of melts your hair's natural oils and any residual conditioner and spreads it evenly across your strands. Just be careful not to dry hair that's soaking wet: always allow hair to dry about 80% before blow drying to prevent damage.
- Treat Dandruff Carefully: Dandruff is an inflammatory scalp condition which can actually lead to hair loss and dulling due to improper oil production. It's important to treat the condition, but always start with the gentlest treatments and then progress to more severe treatments. Head and Shoulders shampoo is actually a very severe and strong treatment. Shampoos that contain tea tree oil will generally be much gentler and just as effective.